Proms, graduations, weddings, bridal showers…the dress code is: the dress. In an era where anything goes and fashion is art, there has never been a better time to flaunt your unique style. And finding the perfect dress for you should be part of the fun experience, especially if you go into your search with a few things in mind. Let us help you find YOUR dress for party season!
The Musts of Dress Shopping (from wedding-guest to weekend brunch):
- Feel comfortable. Comfort is key to feeling at ease at a formal occasion. In this anything-goes style shift, discomfort in the name of fashion or fitting-in is unnecessary!
- Feel confident and beautiful. If a dress doesn’t make you feel either of these things, then it’s not your dress. Keep shopping! Be-YOU-tiful.
Finding the Right Fit. Knowing and embracing the best way to showcase your unique proportions and assets is important when looking for the right dress for your event. Some professional suggestions for your shape (pictures/examples below):
- Rectangle/Straight. Equal width proportions from hip to shoulder. Choose a-line, or sheath. Draping and gathering at the waist adds curvature and interesting low necklines add dimension to your stature. Avoid a simple shift.
- Hourglass. Equal width hips/shoulders, narrow waist. Curvy. Wrap-style dresses flatter your small waistline. A fit-and-flare shape will show off your tiny waist and feminine hips. Fitted dresses will accentuate your curves and elongate your stature. Don’t embellish too heavily at the bust or hip with draping, gathering, beading or high necklines.
- Pear/Triangle. Narrow at the shoulders, gradually widening through the hips. Look for detail on the top! Cowl draping, cap sleeves, boatneck, sweetheart neckline, off-shoulder sleeves. A bottom that fits through the hips and flares mid-thigh will show off your curves and even your proportions.
- Apple/Inverted Triangle. Smaller through the hips, widening through bust/shoulder. Add volume to the bottom and define your waist. Long, flowing maxi dresses can add proportion to a smaller bottom half. An a-line or fit-and-flare will add dimension to the waist and hips and balance out a wider shoulder. Avoid bold prints or embellishment at the top/neckline.
- Budget. Enough said.
- Style, of course. One of my favorite parts of dress shopping is finding a dress that really exudes my personal style. Traveling and dressing up? Look into the local vibe. You may find that you want to lean towards your destination’s more bold look (Think Cancun) or a more buttoned-up look. (Think Connecticut)
- Matching your date…or not matching your date!
- Weather. Consider the venue, air conditioning, weather changes, time of day, etc. Invest in a cashmere ruana to keep bare shoulders warm when the sun goes down and dancing stops. Don’t forget a pair of metallic flats for walking outside or tired party feet!
- Color. Choose a color (or print!) that works for your skin tone, style, and event.
- Accessories. Maybe your dress is understated elegant but you wear killer shoes! Find a classic and elegant dress that will beautifully show-off your coveted accessory…and easily transition to another event!
- Undergarments. Dare we mention unmentionables? From knee-to-shoulder shape-wear to the slimmest of seam-free intimates, you don’t want to notice what you’re wearing under your dress, so it’s a consideration not to go unnoticed.
- Dress code. Black tie? Cocktail? Graduation little-white-dress? Keep in mind any strict guidelines for your event.
Trends we are seeing for the 2018 party season:
Light hues. From the popular blush pink to crisp white. The little white dress is perfect for graduation, Sunday brunch or a bridal shower!
Flounces and Florals. Nothing says feminine like a delicate silk ruffle or perfect floral print. These pretty styles can go from brunch to cocktail-hour effortlessly with a few accessory changes!
Floor length and flawless. The gown is still a go-to for prom and black-tie. This season’s silhouettes are sleek and classic, with bold necklines, statement slits and pops of color.
Jumpsuit. Comfortable, confident and cool, a silk jumpsuit is the gown’s synonym this season.
Dresses above not on our site? Call the store! 802-253-2661
Party and Prom Dress Event @ Green Envy!
WHEN : Friday, April 6th, 5-8PM
WHAT : Showcasing looks from best-dressed brands of dress design – Amanda Uprichard, Alice & Trixie, Susana Monaco and more!
- Enjoy 20% OFF all dresses, shoes and jewelry for ONE NIGHT ONLY
- FREE spray tan at Mirror Mirror with dress purchase at event
- Enter-to-WIN raffles like dinner for two at Juniors in Stowe
- Shop our 50% OFF dress sale section!
Let our in-store style experts help you pull together a look that’s uniquely and completely you and perfect for your prom or party!
Next up: Spring Shoes!